This time we are getting off easy. Only 5 extensions are going up: .ORG, .NET, .BIZ, .INFO and .NAME. The price increase is different for each one, and ranges from $0.51 to $0.78 (you can find more information at the end of this article).
The reason this is possible is that the registries are in a dominant position, in that they control the extensions. Add to this the indulgence of the ICANN (the master of domain names), and the prices creep higher each year. As you may know, at Gandi we have absorbed most of those increases in the past, even though we were increasing our quality of service, adding extensions, and hiring more highly-qualified support agents. As was the case last year, it is once again impossible for us not to pass along these prices increases. With the number of domains we handle, these few cents make up a lot of our operational budget.
Nevertheless, there is some good news. The .COM extension, which was set to increase by 10%, was blocked by the US government. The increase was seen as abusive of a dominant market position.
When will the price increases stop? Sadly, we don't know if they ever will… However, with the arrival next year of around 1500 new general extensions, with around two thirds of these for public registration, it seems that the sale of domain names will undergo a small revolution. Buying-habits will have to evolve. If you forgo the old extensions and chose the new ones, or those that don't increase in price, maybe the registries will have to think twice before requesting increases in the future. You have the power, use it properly!
Here is the list of planned increases this year, by date:
1 July 2013:
- The .ORG will go up by $0.55 (€ 0.43), for price level A, to $16.05 instead of $15.50 today
- The. NET will go up by $ 0.51 (€ 0.40), for price level A, to $16.01 instead of $15.50 today
1 August 2013:
- The .NAME will go up by $0.60 (€ 0.47), for price level A, to $15.60 instead of $15.00 today
1 September 2013:
- The .BIZ will go up by $0.78 (€ 0.60), for price level A, to $16.28 instead of $15.50 today
- The .INFO will go up by $0.74 (€ 0.57), for price level A, to $15.74 instead of $15.00 today
Obviously, renewals are also affected, and are subject to the same increases (though for some extensions, the renewal price is different from the creation price).